KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 18 (Bernama) -- National track cycling ace Datuk Mohd Azizulhasni Awang is still waiting for a clear decision from the Ministry of Youth and Sports (KBS) and the National Sports Council (NSC) on whether his services will be required as he continues his quest to qualify for the 2028 Los Angeles Olympic Games.
He said the decision was important not only in determining his plans after the Asian Games in Nagoya and Aichi, Japan, but also in allowing him to prepare for the World Championships in Shanghai, China, which will be one of the key Olympic qualifying events. (The Asiad will be from Sept 19-Oct 4 and the World Championships from Oct 14-18.)
The 38-year-old said that while the ministry and NSC have expressed their readiness to provide support, he has yet to receive a clear decision from the government and NSC regarding his participation in the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics (LA28).
“They have to make the decision as quickly as possible. If my services are needed for LA28, then I need to know and I need to plan. If I want to qualify for the Olympics, I will have to fly to Shanghai for the World Championships after the Asian Games.
“If my services are not needed, then I need to go home and be with my family. I have not seen my family for a long time,” he told reporters during the dinner hosted by the Council of Federal Datuks in Malaysia to honour Mohd Azizulhasni and the 2026 Commonwealth Games medallists at the Kuala Lumpur Golf & Country Club (KLGCC) here today.
He said the world meet in Shanghai was crucial as it offers significant points in the Olympic qualification process, which spans two seasons.
“If we miss the first World Championships, which offer the most points, the journey will not be impossible, but it will be more difficult. This means we need to consistently finish on the podium,” he added.
The keirin gold medallist at the 2026 Glasgow Commonwealth Games said any decision on his future must also take into account plans involving his family and sponsors, who have supported his professional career over the years.
“I need to sit down with my sponsors to plan the journey because I compete professionally. They have supported me all this while, so it would not be fair if I did not discuss with them about what comes next,” said Mohd Azizulhasni, nicknamed ‘The Pocket Rocketman’.
He said that although the NSC had previously expressed its willingness to continue supporting him, the matter was still not clear enough for him to make long-term plans.
Meanwhile, on his preparations for the Asiad, Mohd Azizulhasni said the national squad is scheduled to leave for Brisbane, Australia, on Thursday (Aug 20) for a training camp lasting more than four weeks before heading to Japan for the prestigious Games.
Earlier, tonight’s ceremony saw the Council of Federal Datuks in Malaysia honour national athletes who won medals at the Commonwealth Games by presenting a total of RM100,000 in incentives contributed by 12 sponsors.
-- BERNAMA