By Nik Nurfaqih Nik Wil
JAKARTA, Aug 19 (Bernama) -- Aftershock activity following the powerful earthquake off Indonesia’s Flores Island is expected to gradually subside over the next 21 to 30 days, with more than 3,000 tremors recorded since the main quake on Saturday.
Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) Deputy for Geophysics Nelly Florida Riama said 3,002 aftershocks ranging from magnitude 1.1 to 6.2 had been recorded as of 2 pm local time Wednesday.
Of these, 86 were felt by residents and 25 measured magnitude 5.0 or higher.
“Based on our preliminary calculations using the data available up to now, approximately within the next 21 to 30 days, they will subside,” she told an online press conference on Wednesday.
Nelly explained that the large number of aftershocks was part of the earth’s crust adjusting and releasing energy as it moves towards a new equilibrium following the major earthquake. BMKG monitoring showed the overall decline in activity.
The magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck at 4.58 am local time on Saturday, with its epicentre in the sea about 30 kilometres northeast of Nagekeo in East Nusa Tenggara at a depth of 15 kilometres.
Meanwhile, acting head of the National Disaster Management Agency’s (BNPB) Disaster Data, Information and Communication Centre, Berton Panjaitan, said the death toll had risen by one to 71, while 59,647 people remained displaced across affected areas, including 20,303 in Manggarai regency alone.
He said many residents remained reluctant to return home because of damage to buildings and concerns over continuing aftershocks, while others were staying near their homes to safeguard their property and livestock.
“The large number of people evacuating independently makes it difficult for our teams to distribute their needs in a timely manner because we need time to record them and distribute the assistance,” he said.
Access to some villages was also difficult due to unstable and narrow roads, while the government was using military aircraft and vessels to support the movement of personnel and supplies and reach areas facing access constraints.
Berton said 398 tonnes of relief supplies had been delivered from Aug 15 to 18, including 165 tonnes transported by air as of 6 pm Tuesday. Land transport remained one of the main means of moving supplies from logistics hubs to evacuation areas.
On healthcare services, Health Ministry Disaster Task Force chief Sumarjaya said two field hospitals had been deployed to support affected areas, with surgery already being carried out at the facilities, while medicine supplies for the next five days remained secure.
He said the ministry was also deploying emergency medical personnel to difficult-to-reach community health centres in cooperation with the National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas), including to provide treatment and evacuate patients requiring hospital care.
-- BERNAMA