MANILA, Aug 17 (Bernama-PNA) -- The number of persons affected by the combined effects of tropical cyclones Luis and Maymay and the ongoing southwest monsoon in the Philippines has climbed to around 5.08 million in 10 regions, Philippine News Agency (PNA) reported.
The Office of Civil Defence (OCD) information officer Diego Mariano said the affected individuals are equivalent to around 1.45 million families from the Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Bicol Region, Western Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, Calabarzon, Cordillera Administrative Region, National Capital Region and Mimaropa.
He said about 523 evacuation centres currently house around 7,182 families or 24,893 persons, while assistance provided so far totalled around PHP734.1 million (RM48.6 million).
Deaths being verified total 23, comprising 15 in Benguet, three each in Rizal and Batangas, and one each in La Union and Quezon.
Meanwhile, 17 people were injured, while one person remained missing.
A total of 182 houses were completely damaged, while 1,681 others sustained partial damage.
--NNN-BERNAMA-PNA